Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, March 9, 2011

    R.I.P. Mike Starr (Alice In Chains)

    Another original from Alice In Chains passed away yesterday, Mike Starr...cause not official yet, but most likely another death by overdose.  Hopefully, Mike reunited with original, but unique, amazing, legendary lead singer, Layne Staley, who died in 2002 of a drug overdose.  Both are such sad, sad stories....
    As a teenager, I was totally into the Seattle grunge, alternative music (hello.. HUGE fan of Kurt & Nirvana), but definitely liked Pearl Jam (and continue to do so), Soundgarden and of course Alice In Chains.  One thing all these bands had were lead singers with powerful voices and such a presence unlike other bands that wanted to jump on the whole coat tail of grunge.  Unfortunately, rock 'n' roll has a history of  drugs, alcohol and many other affiliations, it's a total cliche, sad, but very common looking back in history.  Not always this ending, but a few and so many stories, of artists struggling with addiction, regardless of what the substance is.  I feel bad for those individuals who really want to stop and struggle with it everyday just as another person has to struggle with which car to drive, shoes to wear or how they want their coffee.  It's a sad and tragic thing and I feel for any person struggling and I feel for those friends and family who are supporting and trying to be there and for those who admit they need help - you are so strong, continue to fight!
    In honor of Mike Starr, Layne Staley and Alice In Chains, I've posted some of my favorite songs... the very first song I heard was 'Man in the Box' - totally blown away and Layne's voice, my lord, just intoxicating.  Of course, another favorite I had posted a few weeks ago, another band did a cover, 'Would?'.  'Rooster' another great one..the original music video is a little bloody so decided to post the Unplugged version.   I'll try to twitter some other favorites, 'I Stay Away', 'No excuses' and 'Angry Chair'.   Mike Starr and Layne Staley were in fact pretty close and even before Mike's death, he said, "that Layne was just a good, great person and it was sad to lose a person in general, but then a friend, someone I relied on..."  At one point, saying, "I to this day, I sometimes feel naked without Layne in this life."   I hope Mike feels more protected and not so vulnerable... again, the music lives on forever!  






    No comments: