Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, May 7, 2012

    R.I.P. Dick Clark = icon, legend.

    Every time I hear Dick Clark, I automatically think of two things; American Bandstand and New Year’s Eve.   I was very young when American Bandstand was still airing and about 5 or 6 years old when it last aired.  But I do remember catching repeats on TV, I remember seeing Prince, The Time (The Walk), Madonna (Holiday and the famous response to Dick Clark 'To rule the world'), Cyndi Lauper (Girls just want to have fun & time after time), and many others.  
      
    Richard Wagstaff Clark (Dick Clark) is as much part of my early childhood memories as Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Janet Jackson, Madonna and so many more were.   Most recently, the passing of Whitney Houston, Davy Jones, from The Monkees and this past weekend, the loss of Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys was very sad - such great talent.   As you may notice as well, all these individuals passed on with different ages which is another example of how you know never what tomorrow brings and should live life every day to the fullest. 
    Without Dick Clark’s American Bandstand, there would not have been a Soul Train or a MTV’s Total Request Live (TRL) or any other music variety show.  He started a wonderful phenomenon and one of his great quotes was and happens to be a personal favorite, ‘music is the soundtrack of our life’.  So true, so true.    He also started another trend that I enjoyed, Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve and for someone who doesn’t enjoy this specific holiday – his show made me forget the actual holiday and make it feel like an award show or a concert on my TV.  To this day, if I am home and am in reach of a television, I will choose to watch the holiday celebration with Dick Clark.  
    My thoughts and prayers goes out to his family, friends and fans (like me!).    His legacy is in so much of the foundations of what still airs today on television and will continue for many generations to come.    Rest In Peace Mr. Dick Clark (1929-2012).

    No comments: