Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, September 22, 2011

    Drive - what a ride!

    I had to give myself time to think over this movie, because as it started to roll credits and I stood up, I was full of mixed emotions but definitely liked the film, loved Ryan Gosling and the rest of the cast and they way the director created and edited this film.

    So I watched it last night and I was overwhelmed, but not in a bad way.  Ryan Gosling was brilliant - loved his performance.   There are a few scenes in the movie that was really outstanding and wonderful and the way the director, Nicolas Winding Refn set these scenes up - pure genius.   The elevator scene was really poignant, an intense but touching scene with Carey Mulligan and Gosling (wonderful chemistry) and then turned instantly intense and violent.  I was worried though, because I had read some negative things about Mulligan and Gosling's chemistry, but those opinions were wrong in my opinion - thought they were really brilliant.  The way Refn shot that elevator scene, the slow motion, the dimming of the lights, the music in the background - just real good.  This clip below doesn't show the entire scene but you do see the beginning of what I mentioned before (slow motion, music, lights dimming):

    Another great scene, Gosling carrying the little boy in a hallway and again, slow motion, music playing... another real great scene - especially when they slowly turn to Mulligans face - classic scene!    Trust me when I say that I was super hyped up to see this movie and kept telling myself prior to watching, 'no expectations, low expectations' so by the time I sat down to watch it - I was really calm and not putting too much pressure on the film.  When I walked out of that theatre I was little overwhelmed about how I felt about the movie - had a ton of different emotions, but did enjoy the movie.   Loved Gosling and Mulligan, Oscar Isaac, who played Mulligans husband and Kaden Leos, who played Mulligans son - they were really great to watch.  I was a little shocked in certain aspects - I don't want to spoil it for those who have not yet seen it, but just be cautioned.   I did enjoy the intensity of the film and the music score was well done - although the beginning of the film, I was reminded of 80s films, the pink lettering and the heavy 80s influenced sound (possible homage to the great classic 80s films).   Loved seeing Gosling drive and the song 'A Real Hero' by College playing in the background, lyrics goes, "A real human being, And a real hero".

    So now that I've had time to digest all my feelings, I have to say I understand it more and have a much more appreciation for Goslings character and of the film as a whole.  I also appreciate the way this film made me feel so all over the place with my feelings towards the characters, towards the film and towards my own life.
    Driver is a person who is quiet, private, keeps to himself and after an encounter with this woman and her child, his whole life changes, the way he feels and sees his life moving forward and wants to keep that protected and you see him possibly going over the edge in wanting to protect that.   If you care for someone, how far would you go to protect them?   A real human being can be a hero - it can be done in small ways or in a huge destructive way - but we, as human beings are all different and are all set up differently and I would hope that everyone has felt or has had a safe zone once in your life.  Most people have a limit of how far they are willing to go to protect that person as some others don't have a limit.  Either way, this story is about a human being who followed a specific route and as life does, something happens that changes his way and we get to watch him feel something that he loved and held close to him.  And that is something that we all have felt or (hopefully) will feel at some point in our life.  I hope I did not give too much away and just go watch the movie on a big screen.

    No comments: