Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, July 25, 2011

    Amy Winehouse, Rest In Peace

    The music world lost another talented (and super young) musician, Amy Jade Winehouse (Born September 13, 1983 and Died July 23, 2011).   She was born with a gift and also a curse in a constant fight with her addictions and as of right now it does not look like she died of a drug overdose, but unfortunately, I think her health was not doing well due to her issues with alcohol and other substances.   Don’t get me wrong, my heart goes out to her family, friends and to her fans (which I am), especially her younger fans.   Having an addiction does NOT make a person worthless or a joke – I think addiction can come from several different reasons, desires; a desire within for something or fighting something within oneself, demons can haunt people, even when they seem to have everything anyone could want or one can be in search of peace, happiness or love.
    Amy Winehouse broke out in 2007/2008 in the US with the album, Back to Black and was everywhere.  She had only released one other album (Frank) before that and it did very well in the UK.  The first song I ever heard was 'Rehab' and it was actually the video and I remember thinking who this pinup British chick is.  I probably went onto www.mtv.com and searched her name and found other cool songs, ‘You Know I’m No Good’, ‘Back to Black’ and then a remix of ‘Rehab’ featuring the awesome iconic Jay-Z.  Of course, I went out and bought the album, Back to Black and of course, that was definitely one of the best albums of that year.   Her voice is so powerful and when she was doing well, her performances were super cool and you could tell she was completely enjoying it and loved being on stage. 

    Of course, who could forget her unforgettable performance during the 2008 Grammys, which she couldn’t attend in the US, but played live from London and what a performance.   I believe she won four grammys out of 5 nominations… that alone was going down in the books no matter would happen after that.  It’s so sad to me that she passed away so young and knowing all the talent that was in her and of course, it leaves her family, friends and fans with the idea of what if for the rest of their lives.  She was recording a new album so hopefully her record company will release that album soon.  

    I’ve posted the videos/songs that I love and no matter how you feel about Amy or other people with addition issues, please remember she was a human being with such a talent and her memory deserves to be respected and it’s a total cliché to say, but Amy Jade Winehouse will be remembered through her music, her powerful voice and her cool performances.  Unfortunately, she will also be remembered as all other artists who died at the age of 27 (Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin) or died just way too young (Buddy Holly and Jeff Buckley). 

    I will miss the music she was yet to do but will remember the feeling I got when I first heard her amazing voice and hope she has found peace... Rest In Peace Amy.
      
    So far removed from all that we went through 
    And I tread a troubled track 
    My odds are stacked 
    I'll go back to black
    ”~ Lyrics from Back to Black

    I cheated myself,
    Like I knew I would,
    I told you I was trouble,
    You know that I'm no good” ~ Lyrics from You Know I’m No Good




    No comments: