Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, August 2, 2011

    MTV on the air for 30 Years....

    I am a big believer in respecting things that have created something different and I've always been the happiest listening to music and watching a video that makes me cry, laugh or think wow, that was so clever.
    As a child, I remember watching Adam Curry religiously on MTV's Top 20 Countdown every Saturday singing into the pledge bottle as I dust the house and dress up like Madonna with my older sister's clothes... to this day you can still find me having one of the many MTV channels on in the room because I do enjoy discovering new music and enjoy being wowed by a video.   I also enjoyed watching Downtown Julie Brown and Julie Brown, both women being totally quirky and fun in their own way, and of course we can't forget the all american Martha Quinn.

    http://youtu.be/0rNfZxgkH7k
    http://youtu.be/dXt8-RxRK44

    We can't forget about Yo! MTV Raps with Ed Lover and Dr. Dre... a total cool thing for me because I grew up with a dad who loved his rock'n'roll, but the sounds rap had, was so different and fresh and again, MTV opened my music palette which made me want to learn more and discover the history of rap.


    Of course, in my early teens I watched Real World NY and Real World San Francisco which were two of the most important reality TV shows EVER.  I think it was a huge idea to have these young adults open their lives to the world especially to young people and some who lived in a closed world and were not open to different people.  They got to see that everybody no matter what language you speak, what color your skin is, what music you listen to, or who you love, everyone deserves to be respected and deserve a chance.  Judging someone by something - without really knowing someone is very unfair.  Those first shows were so powerful... of course, everyone will remember Pedro from San Francisco.  Heartbreaking, he lost his battle on the same day or last day of the final episode aired - but he was so honest and loving and was so helpful in putting the facts about HIV and AIDS out there for people who were unaware of this disease.  Heather, Eric, Norman and Julie were just too fun to watch.. always made me laugh!
    Real World then lead into Road Rules which for me Europe was and will always be the best ever.  Unfortunately, we also lost one of the cast members from that season way too young.  Oh, and I almost forgot the great 80s show, Remote Control... I remember Adam Sandler on that show, which is so funny to me.

    Moving into the late 90s and early 2000s, TRL conquering NY's Times Square with teenagers who were in love with boy bands and pop stars and then we moved into pop rock and eventually MTV decided to shut TRL doors down.  I remember Carson Daly introducing Kid Rock as a guest DJ for one of those Spring Break specials.  It's insane to think of all the memories that I have with MTV and music is and will always be a part of me.  Turning 30 is a big deal... yes, it is not even close to what it was, but they do have so many different channels now... makes me wish they had an MTV channel for vintage MTV... I would LOVE, LOVE to watch the old real worlds, road rules and old interviews from the original VJs.  

    I'm anticipating this years music awards at the end of August...although it's not the 30th anniversary of the actual award ceremony, but thinking they will do something to honor MTVs 30 years of music television.  Without MTV, I would have had BET's 106 & Park when they were the only ones playing Alicia Keys 'Fallin' before it got popular, VH1 pop up videos or Behind the Music or CMT, GAC who played Lady Antebellums' big hit, 'Need You Know'.

    I want to thank MTV for so much lessons learned and for the helping in adding music to my personal soundtrack.  I decided to post the very first video EVER to play on MTV on August 1, 1981, The Buggles, 'Video Killed the Radio Star'...

    No comments: