Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, August 24, 2011

    River Phoenix

    River Phoenix is one of my favorite actors (his younger brother Joaquin is also on my list) and I really wish we could have all seen what he would have been doing now. I was 12 years old when he passed away; if he were still alive, he would have turned 41 yesterday... Besides being an actor, he was a great singer, musician, an animal and environmental activist.

    Obviously, Stand by Me and My Private Own Idaho is on my list for great performances, but my favorites were actually, Running on Empty, That Thing Called Love and Dogfight. I've posted a few clips from my favorites. He received a Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination for his work on Running on Empty - I think that is one of the most heartfelt performances. He and Martha Plimpton (romance off-screen as well) shine together. That Thing Called Love was a good movie, really enjoyed watching him perform and the characters difficulty - he had such a great voice. And Dogfight, well, a very sweet, poignant love story but also so good in showing the reality of how innocent these young people were and for those who did return from Vietnam how unfamiliar things looked once they returned - a very touching movie.

    I'll leave you with a quote by River Phoenix, 'It's a great feeling to think that I can be a friend to so many people through my movies.' Thanks for being my friend.

    No comments: